Popcultcha is an online destination for everything from Star Wars bobbleheads to collectible trading cards, clothing, comics and more. While Popcultcha has products for kids on their current site, CEO Ash Howard saw an opportunity for a more focused experience geared towards gifts and cool stuff for kids ages 5-12, generating the idea for Cultcha Kids.
Cultchakids needed to get to market fast to capitalize on the growing interest in popular culture toys and gifts for kids and the upcoming holiday season.
They wanted to make sure they did it right from the beginning.
Since Popcultcha use Magento for their existing website, they knew they wanted to build their new brand on Magento
Balance Internet suggested to build the website using Magento 2.0 and to support Cultcha Kids in the new beta project.
Magento 2.0 is designed to increase engagement, conversion rates and sales through the new streamlined checkout experience, product video and responsive theme design.
Create a website to sell the Popcultcha product range for kids on Magento 2.o beta platform
What was involved:
- Design responsive website
- Based on default Luma theme
- Simple and Playful design for kids
- Oversized elements
- Trustworthy feel for parents who will ultimately be making the purchases
- Set up server infrastructure
- AWS setup, Docker
- Develop it on Magento 2.0 platform
- Develop theme using Magento’s new UI framework and theme layer
- Frontend performance optimizations, making use of many of the new performance features now built into Magento
- Develop custom extensions to fit Cultcha Kids business model into the new Magento 2.0 system
- Load Test the platform and optimise customisations
- Ben Marks from Magento flew to Australia for a special merchant beta programme training session with the Balance Internet team
- Our Magento developers spent a week learning the ins and outs of Magento 2.0
- Alan Kent from Magento also spoke with the Balance Internet team about the new features of Magento 2.0
- Built in varnish support
- Balance Internet used Varnish with Magento 1 for a long time but it usually took quite a bit of hands on work to get Varnish working with a Magento 1 site and 3rd Party Extensions. With Magento 2.0, Varnish is supported out of the box, making set up quick and painless
- Improved admin interface & frontend performance
- Much improved admin interface makes store management easy
- Modern technology stack provides a solid foundation for store customizations
- Universal Analytics and Google Tag Manager support out of the box
- Responsive website
- Responsive websites adapt to the users browser, therefore one site can work across all types of browsers, .e.g mobile, tablet, desktop
- Environment is built using Docker container technology
- Docker is an open platform for building, shipping and running distributed applications. Docker gives programmers, development teams and operation engineers the common toolbox they need to take advantage of the distributed and networked nature of modern applications
- Balance Internet used docker with Cultcha Kids to provide a standard platform across production, staging and development environments
- Scales out based on demand
- AWS autoscaling environment can easily scale up and down site with little or no effort. This is a requirement for Popcultcha as their traffic can spike dramatically with flash sales and appearances at events
- Scaling horizontally rather than vertically
- Automated Testing
- Magento 2.0 has a built in test framework which assisted Balance Internet with a wide variety of automated tests including static code analysis, unit tests, functional tests, performance tests and integration tests
- The inbuilt tests were used along with Jenkins CI from the very early stages of code development. This approach really helped to identify the issues in the code and also the solutions for them before bottlenecking the project
- Ultimately automated testing helped with building a smooth and clean Cultcha Kids website
- Automated test results made the life of the development team much easier by giving them very detailed information regarding the problems found
- Automated tests also helped developers to follow the standards of Magento 2.0 coding
Investing in technology helps us deliver better customer experiences. With triple digit growth, massive volume of SKUs and a large customer base, we need to ensure we have a platform that can scale and allow us the flexibility we need as the business evolves. Magento 2 gives us this and more in a consolidated, efficient platform that will allow for global expansion.â – Ash Howard, CEO, Popcultcha
The website build of Cultchakids on Magento2 was an exciting achievement for both Cultchakids and Balance Internet, as it is one of first Magento2 webistes in the world to be launched.
Balance Internet were honoured to support Cultchakids in the beta2 project and look forward to many more in the future.
To check out the new Magento2 Cultchkids website, follow the link